Monday, December 12, 2005

Confessions on a Dance Floor - Madonna

Madonna seems to be everywhere at the moment, everytime I turn on the TV there seems to be an interview, or documentary or performance. The way this happens when an album gets released always annoys the hell out of me and I was feeling a little cynical that all the hype surrounding Confessions was actually just that, hype.

Then I started hearing good things about this album from unexpected places. I love the single 'Hung Up' and I had seen her perform that and the second track off the album, 'Get Together', live on Parky and actually really enjoyed it.

From the minute that I put this album in my CD player I knew I was going to like it, by track 5 I knew I already loved it. Almost as if Madonna is trying to go back full circle to her pop greatness of classics like 'Get into the Groove' this is floor filling dance music at it's greatest. There is not one track on the album that I couldn't imagine dancing too. A clever mix of beats and samples that will get you up on you feet and put a spring in your step.

Musically, I feel the first half of the album is definately stronger than the second but lyically the second half shines through, and you can tell where the influences of different parts of her life have come through. The track 'Push' is definately about her marriage and 'Isaac' about Kabbalah. But even here the music is catchy and fun and you can't help thinking that this is what this album is about - fun.

This has shot into my top 5 albums this year. Personal favourites - 'Sorry' & 'I Love New York'.

No comments:

Post a Comment