Wednesday, November 2, 2005

'Smeared' - Sloan


OK, I'm an indie boy... Incurably so it'd seem, and stuck in a '90s rut it would appear. But this is a fizzing pop gem, and, I think, unfairly ignored.

Sloan hail from Halifax, Nova Scotia, and I think are still going across the Pond, but they didn't make much of an impression over here. They signed to Geffen during the great major label alt-rock feeding frenzy, popped this one and a follow-up out and kind of relaxed into a 70's rock pastiche which they carry on with today. The title alludes to the fact that they made so many mistakes, they had to cover up with tons of effects. The result emerges as what I'd hoped Pet Sounds would have turned out like, scribbled over by My Bloody Valentine. And yeah, under the fizz and squall beats a pure, poppy heart.

Opener 'Underwhelmed' is kind of witty and goofy and laconic. 'I Am The Cancer' belies the bleak title with sweet boy/girl harmonies and a laid-back pop sheen. It's 1992 as hell and I adore it.

No comments:

Post a Comment