Friday, October 28, 2005

Silent Alarm - Bloc Party

Having just got back from seeing them live this evening I thought I would write a little review of this album. One of the favorites of this year for a lot of critics and I think very rightly so.

There are some really powerful songs on the album, with some amazing lyrics. The album opens with a great track "Like eating glass" I think the opening to this song really kicks things off for this album, I remember hearing it for the first time and thinking "fuck I'm going to like this album". The album keeps that buzz as it then moves onto "Helicopter" and "Positive Tension".

This then brings me to "Banquet" which has to have now gone down as one of my all time favorite songs, the lyrics, the music. Everything about this song really makes my brain hum and whirr. I can listen to this song over and over and never get sick of it. I love the lyrics to this song and the tune and I have to include a section of them:

Turning away from the light
Becoming adult
Turning into my soul
I wanted to bite not destroy
To feel her underneath
Turning into my soul

She don't think straight
She's got such a dirty mind and it never ever stops
And you don't taste like her and you never ever will
And we don't read the papers, we don't read the news
Heaven's never enough, we will never be fooled

And if you feel a little left behind
I will see you on the other side


All in all the album is just fucking great I'd seriously recommend buying it if you haven't already. An album of this year and something a bit different, Kele's voice is an unusual one in some respects I haven't really heard someone sing like him and I think it really works for them. I think this whole band click together really well and having just got back from seeing them live I can safely say that they really know how to put on a show.

Tracks to hear - Banquet, This Modern Love, The Pioneers and Plans

No comments:

Post a Comment