Friday, October 14, 2005

'Twentythree' Tristan Prettyman

Ok this is the first time I have ever done anything like this and I am a little scared but what the hell we're all friends here right?

I first discovered Tristan Prettyman through a post on a blog friend's site. Through a link I managed to download a live performance at a coffee house in San Dieigo. It was love at first listen! As she chatted between the songs she revealed that she was about to make an album with Virgin Records, and many of the tracks that she played that night are on the album.

Only on general release overseas I managed to get a promotional copy via the power of ebay and it has rarely left my cd player since!

All the tracks on the album are written / co written by Prettyman and I can honestly say there is not one track that makes me want to hit the skip button. I hate trying to compare music to that of other artists but if I was pushed i would say she reminds me of a more laid back Ani DiFranco. She is very one woman and her guitar and the simplicity of the tracks are great.

My only critism, having listened to a lot of the tracks live, is that they seem to have quite cheesey introductions, but if you can get over those first few seconds you are in for a treat. Slow and serious at times, playful and lively at others, this really is an album to suit all moods.

My highlights of the album - Love,love,love, Shy that way (duet with her man Jason Mraz) and The Story.

In the words on the songstress herself "I'm the secret ingredient you're missing".

No comments:

Post a Comment