Wednesday, October 5, 2005

"Le Petit Nabab" - Le Tone



Ok, this review isn't very good, but i wrote it for Amazon a few years back and they accepted it. I'm going to amend it, cos to be frank, it was shit first time around (and still is) but it gets the ball rolling....

Le Tone, a fairly unknown French band/DJ combo. I bought this album a few years back for the song Joli Dragon, which was used on a few TV commercials back then. I guess then, i listened to that song and dismissed the rest. However, a couple of months ago, i whacked the CD on and listened to it for the first time properlly!

I guess you could describe them as a cross between Air and Lemon Jelly, I would imagine Air were an influence for them. It's fairly different to most stuff you would normally hear, there are lots of random noises (telephones, chickens, car horns, ladies screaming, beeps etc). It's of the sort that would make you parents say "They wouldn't have made this rubbish in my day." The intro is very random and bizarre, but works and sets it up for Joli Dragon which is the song I knew. There are very little lyrics on this album, it's mainly samples and tunes. Some songs are dreamy and chilled out, where as others are quite upbeat and wouldn't go amiss later on in the evening at a party. Rocky VIII is my personal favourite on the album, it has an infectious and repetitive beat that will make you tap your foot, nod your head and it has scratching, something all good tunes must have!

No comments:

Post a Comment