Friday, October 28, 2005

Intensive Care - Robbie Williams

Sorry to review such a mainstream album, and sorry it's Robbie. I'm afraid I am a fan. I know it's cool not like him, but that has never worried me. Knebworth 2 years ago was amazing, so I was very interested to hear his new album, his first without his writing partner Guy Chambers. The reason Robbie has been so successful perhaps?

His new writing partner, Stephen Duffy, co-wrote his past 3 songs with him as well as all the songs on this album. Stephen doing the music and Robbie on the lyrics. If those 3 songs, Radio, Misunderstood and Tripping were much to go by, then this album was going to suck....really bad.

However, after a couple of listens, there are some really good songs on it, and a couple of the best songs Robbie has written for a long time. The album has a very 80's feel to it, which I love, 80's music was great, but I think a lot of Robbie's fans will struggle to get to grips with this "new sound" of his. I just think it needs a little time.

Robbie is still as arrogant as ever, as shown in the opening line to the album being "Here I stand, victorious, the only man to make you cum." But that song, Ghost's, is a great song. As I said, an 80's feel to it, the drum beat is like something out of the Human League. The only bit of this song that lets it down is in the chorus when Robbie says "Well it looks like we could have made it baby" is far too cheesy. The next track, Tripping is the one we all know, and hate. I really thought it was a bad song for him to release, and it is probably the weakest track of the album. Make me Pure was on the flip side to Tripping, a double A-side so to speak. It should have been the main track. It is a lovely song. The lyrics are great and the quiet gospel choir in the background just make it work. It will be one of the highlights with the crowd at his gigs at Wembley next year, mark my word. Spread your wings is supposedly the lyrical sister, to the opening track 'Ghosts". Robbie is quoted as saying "I want to write songs that will still break peoples' hearts in 20 years time, and I hope, and reckon, this one will do just that." Sorry Robbie, it's not going to. The chorus is great, but the rest is very poor. Advertising Space is my personal favourite on this album. Another ballad and right up there with Angels and Feel. I believe this one will be released in time for Christmas, clever idea, it could be a runner for the christmas number one. But who knows, The Tweenies could be releasing a song!


Please Don't Die A very personal song lyrically about love, memory and honour apparently. It's a more 'classic' Robbie song, not so much the silly side (Rock DJ, Millenium) but more along the lines of Supreme and No Regrets. Your Gay Friend is a much more upbeat song which kicks off with a "Woo-hoo." It's good, just good, I can't say much more about it really. Sin Sin Sin Probably the most retro feeling song on the album, the rhythm in background reminds me of a really well known song, but I forget which. I'm not so keen on Robbie's voice on this track, admittedly he doesn't have the best voice in the business, what he lacks in singing ability he makes up in showmanship ten fold. Random Acts of Kindness is another weak filler and The Trouble with Me starts off well "I got a head full of fuck" (at least he is honest) but the song doesn't hold my interest enough, and becomes another filler. A Place to Crash sounds like a great song. I don't think the polished recorded version you hear on the album is brilliant, but I am pretty sure this song will be great fun on his tour next year. Intensive Care finishes up with King of Bloke and Bird which is another great ballad. Something Robbie seems to be doing well on this album, and is a good way to finish.

Overall, it isn't his best album, but it isn't his worst either. The ballads on this album are good, really good, but the rest doesn't live up to the old 'classic' Robbie tracks. It was always going to be a difficult album to make, Guy Chambers has a lot to answer for, but it certainly isn't a bad effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment